Monday, August 12, 2013

Meet the Spice Pups

 The Spice Pups were rescued by Lost Dog Rescue located in Northern Virginia.  The story of how they came to the rescue has to be told by one of its founders or volunteers - I wasn't there.  What I know is that the mother of the Spice Pups, Jupiter and five (5) of her puppies were surrendered.  It is believed that Jupiter spent most of her time tied to the front porch of her former owner's home.  A visiting caller, let's call him Romeo, is the daddy of these fine pups.  He is believed to be descended from the every popular Labrador, while mom is a Husky beauty. 
I happened to be in the wrong place at the right time - Petfinder.com seeking out the newest love of my life after having lost my sweet Kira.  I was visiting my property in  Sperryville, Virginia and thought I'd take a quick ride over to Northern Virginia and pick up the puppy of my choice.  Well, as you know, the Universe works in its own special way and the original pup that caught my eye - Curry - was not destined to be my pup after all. 
Disappointed but acknowledging that all things happen for a reason, I returned to my home in Florida puppyless.  Yet, I still felt drawn toward this litter from some inexplicable reason.  I inquired about adopting mom, Jupiter, only to learn that she too had found her forever home.  So that was that - or so I thought.  One day, there's an email from Lost Dog Rescue explaining that there were not just five (5) pups, but actually eight (8) and they had just received the latest three pups - did I want one?  Decisions, decisions. 
Yes, please. I'll take the puppy in the front with the Shepherd look and the white feet playing with the ball.  These three (3) were named Wolfsbane, Black Pepper and Coriander.  I thought I wanted a girl, but then there was Wolfie and I absolutely could not resist.  Send more pictures please, here's my application, I'm catching the first flight out!
I have a feeling he might have tricked me with that ear up!  I haven't seen that yet - it appears the girls all look more like their mom and the boys are trending toward their dad.  I'll know more when the other families chime in with stories and pictures of their own. 

Wolfie is a happy, bright puppy ready to start his new life in Florida with his four (4) new sisters, Leiden, Sassy, Tobie and Fawn. 
Leiden
Sassy
Fawn and Tobie

My biggest dilemma was getting Wolfie from Maryland to Florida.  I got myself to Maryland without a problem, even organized an impromptu high school/neighborhood get together in honor of the opportunity to come to town.  But, would Wolfie still be small enough to fit into an airline approved crate that would fit under the seat of the plane?  I had an approved carrier, no problem.  Foster mom, Haley agreed to send measurements and his weight - still not sure.  Well, we'll just have to wait and see and have a back up plan, just in case.  The back up plane was to rent a car, kidnap my nephew and drive together to Florida.  That way he could return the rental and I wouldn't have to pay a huge drop off fee.  (BTW, renting a car one way from Maryland to Florida isn't cheap!)   

Saturday morning at the appointed time and at the appointed Petco on Rockville Pike, my sister Julie, my niece Aubrey Anne, my nephew Keaton and I arrived to meet Wolfie for the first time!  We were very excited.  There was Haley's mom watching over Wolfie who was having a little crowd anxiety and having a few second thoughts about coming out of his travel crate.  Well he finally did and we were not disappointed at all!  He is terribly cute.  Best news of all, he fit into the airline crate - it wouldn't be a roomy king size bed, but he would be able to make the trip!
The other really super duper good new is that sister, Coriander was adopted weekend before last and brother Black Pepper was being adopted at exactly the same time as Wolfie.  The brothers were able to say their goodbyes and the new parents were able to exchange contact information.  We were also able to get a couple of good pictures to share.
A big thanks to Haley, her mom and family for giving these pups such a great foster experience.  Congratulations to the Jewels for adopting Black Pepper.  My hope is that all of the families and their fosters will take an opportunity from time to time to post pictures and stories about the experiences of the Spice Pup so the saga can continue!

No comments:

Post a Comment